The Planning Center Mobile Engineering Team is looking for a developer to join us in building powerful mobile applications!
Planning Center is a software company owned and founded by a developer. We build software tools to help churches organize information, coordinate events, and communicate with their congregations.
We’re a fully remote company that relies on tools like GitHub, Slack, Notion, Asana, and Zoom. We value asynchronous work while also encouraging pairing to shape work and tackle problems together. We gather at our main offices in Carlsbad, CA, four times a year to connect face-to-face and foster better working relationships.
At Planning Center, we…
Engage with humility: We actively participate with openness and receptiveness. We are ready to listen and learn, to speak thoughtfully and kindly—regardless of our skill level, expertise, or place on the org chart.
Invest in our team: We give our time and energy to our team’s success—improving collaboration with effective communication, making space for diverse perspectives, sharing knowledge, and asking questions.
Do our best work: We aspire to do our best possible work—continually looking for ways to improve the quality of our individual output and contribute to the overall success and growth of our team.
Focus on customer impact: We advocate for our customer’s best interests in our decision-making—we can trace the goal of every project back to creating positive value for our customers.
Think holistically, work iteratively: We focus on taking practical steps towards our goals with an awareness of the broader context—thinking big, working small.
About the work
You would be maintaining and expanding our flagship mobile products, reporting directly to the Engineering Manager of the Mobile Engineering Team.
We are heavily invested in React Native, Java, Kotlin, Objective-C, and Swift. The ideal candidate for this position has several years of experience with a deep understanding of React Native, Android development, and object-oriented programming. You’ll be taking on projects that touch our admin and congregant-facing React Native and native applications, ensuring we build in a way that scales as our user features change and app installs grow.
You’ll encounter a fair mix of building new features from start to finish, refining existing features, improving performance, and ensuring the security of our customer's data
Some tasks you will work on:
- Translating feature pitches into technical specifications
- Implementing those technical specifications as a series of small, descriptive, and well-tested GitHub pull requests
- Pairing with your designer and developer teammates
- Reviewing your teammates’ pull requests to increase the quality of what we build and learn from one another
- Preparing code for mobile builds and releases on the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon Appstore
- Iterating on the tools used for automated application build and release
- Helping research and guide the team in the strategic use of 3rd party libraries and tools across mobile products
- Staying on top of the constantly changing mobile features available and evaluating what upcoming features can be utilized help improve the user experience for our mobile applications
- Investigating customer reported bugs that have been triaged and researched by our amazing support team
- Diagnosing errors that come in through our error monitoring tools
- Improving performance guided by Firebase Crashlytics, Bugsnag, and native IDE performance monitoring tools
- Participating in book and code clubs to learn with/from other developers
- Must be willing to travel four times each year to connect with the rest of the team (not during a pandemic)
- Must have experience publishing an Android app (self-written or contributed to)
- Must have experience with React Native
- Must reside and be eligible to work in the United States
We love our team. It’s one of the core pillars
we work off of every day, which is why we take care of you as best we can. Here are a few highlights, but you can find all our benefits here
Get paid: We pay in the top 10% of the New York City rates no matter where you live, contribute to your 401k, provide a charitable giving match of up to $2,000 a year, have a generous allowance for continued education, and offer a co-working stipend. The annual salary range for this position is $142,451 – $183,152.
Be healthy: Generous paid sick time and vacation time, $200 a month for physical fitness and mental health, 95% medical & 100% dental premium health coverage.
Get out: Paid Fridays off in the summer, every other Friday off the rest of the year, a month-long sabbatical every five years, one week off between Christmas & New Year, one week off a year to serve with a non-profit, and two weeks paid vacation a year increasing to three over time.
The Hiring Process
Applications will be accepted until Friday, April 7th. We aim to have a final decision made by no later than Thursday, April 13th, with a candidate starting by the first week of May.
You’ll have a chance to interact with several team members during the hiring process. We strongly encourage you to bring any questions you have; you’re interviewing us as much as we’re interviewing you.
The teammates you’ll encounter along the way:
- The manager you’ll be reporting to
- One or more developers from the team you’ll be joining
- Developers from other teams within the company
- Members of our executive team
We’ll respond to applications as they arrive, usually within a few days. Below is an outline of the steps in our hiring process.
Step one: Apply with a resume and a cover letter
Step two: Initial Zoom call with the team for you to get to know us
Step three: An online coding assessment to get a rough understanding of your experience
Step four: Team interview over Zoom with a few developers
Step five: Technical interview over Zoom with a few developers
Step six: Meeting with our executive team and offer extended
Your cover letter should speak directly to this position. We want to know what got you into software development, how your experience has set you up for success in this role, and why you want to join our team. If you’ve applied in the past, feel free to apply again.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet ~60% of the criteria, women and those in underrepresented groups tend only to apply when they check every box. If you’re unsure if your experience qualifies strong competency in Android and React Native, we’d still love to hear from you and see if it’s a good fit!